Thank you for your feedback about Bing. To improve how your ideas are shared and discussed, we've created the Bing Insider site. As a result, the Bing Listens portal will be shuttered soon. We look forward to getting more of your feedback at bing.com/insider. Thanks!

What are your ideas to improve Bing?

Use HTTPS by default

Bing already supports HTTPS but it does not use it by default, unlike Google, DuckDuckGo, Startpage, and Ixquick.

859 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SatoMew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going to bump this as well, it has been over a year now. Considering Bing already supports HTTPS, it can't be that hard to redirect HTTP links and enable that as default. There is no reason this should be taking so long, the functionality is already there

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am going to comment and bump this idea since it has not been commented on in almost one year. Google Maps now uses HTTPS by default and I am considering using it from now on rather than Bing Maps, which I like more.

I'd rather use something that is more secure rather than something with better features.

Please re-consider this idea and speed up it's implementation.

• Tagus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the benefit of https? I don’t see it on every website, which can indicate our preferences as much as our searches. Sadly, it may be like putting bars on the ground floor window while the front door is open.

From Microsoft’s perspective, would the gain in privacy-conscious users be worth any extra cost in computing power to encrypt and decrypt the pages?

• Creme Brulee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since we now know that China (and perhaps others) can hack/scrape data [intransit?] from nearly any non-HTTPS URL, move everything to HTTPS for better security/privacy

• Ben Bristow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's no reason not to enable SSL by default. It's a two second tweak and adds much-needed privacy to your searches; more-so if you're on a public network.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the need for https in a web search? I'll let the professionals decide if this is needed, but I don't see it.

• Tim Kassouf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree completely. For a simple web search, there's no need for this level of security - and, in fact, I think it erodes the value of using HTTPS for actually sensitive digital communication to just use it for every search like this... This is a nonsense request. Don't do it.

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 2015, Bing should use secure HTTPS connection by default!

Ideas: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base