What are your ideas to improve Bing?

Show Cortana replies inside Bing web searches

Cortana is a selling feature of Windows Phone 8.1 right now, and is soon to be a key feature in Windows 10 across Microsoft's ecosystem. However, Cortana is powered by Bing. In my opinion, if Microsoft wants to spread around its services, Microsoft should add limited Cortana functionality to the Bing website. Enable speech input as well as Cortana's full range of replies. Obviously many of Cortana's OS-based features such as file search, reminders and so on woulnd't function this way, but things like jokes, chitchat and social network integration should work on Bing. Right now, Microsoft really doesn't offer an alternative to Google's Now, which works in-browser, and this would offer a compromise for users of other OSs who want to try out Cortana, and possibly nudge them towards investing into Microsoft's ecosystem over time.

To keep Cortana on Windows 10 the best version, simply keep voice feedback from functioning in the web version. To hear Jen Taylor's vocals, you'd still need a Windows device.

731 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matthew Langdon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminBing Listens Team (Feedback Channel, Bing) responded  · 

Hey everyone,
    Thanks for your patience regarding your suggestion. It’s a really interesting one, and we have shared it with the team. This will take a bit more time as the team investigates the feasibility of voice search and Cortana inside Bing. However, you do currently have the ability to conduct a voice search in Windows 10 using the Task Bar search box (see the attached image for more details).

Again, thank you for all the great ideas, and do keep them coming, so we can create an even better experience for you on Bing.

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of course, using the database of own Cortana, as this would improve much she

• Shane Karcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cortana searches on Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile, iOS, and Android count towards mobile searches.

• Shan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hands free bing search with hey Cortana. Easy to implement since you already have this feature in mobile and Windows 10, it will be so good for niche user base who want to just scream at computer for hey cortana and do search or have normal conversation with Cortana. Also she can respond track package everything Cortland app can do. Am not sure why this is not already done.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to have a house microphone and voice my questions to the pc. Then pc responds. I don't enjoy staring at boring TV.

• Len Alfred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But a Cortana button in the Bing search bar and it uses the microphone on our pc to enable search. I hate to say it but...have set up like Google search (they have a microphone in the search bar). This will enable Cortana on other PCs that don't have Windows 10.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They will have this to a point with Project Spartan, Microsofts new web browser for Windows 10 devices. I say this since Cortana is being built into the browser it self.

Plus Google Now/Voice Search only works with Google's Chrome browser.

The main thing would be, make sure Project Spartan can run on more than just Windows 10 so what you ask can be useful to you if you do not upgrade to Windows 10.

Ideas: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base