Thank you for your feedback about Bing. To improve how your ideas are shared and discussed, we've created the Bing Insider site. As a result, the Bing Listens portal will be shuttered soon. We look forward to getting more of your feedback at bing.com/insider. Thanks!

What are your ideas to improve Bing?

Advanced Search

While I know that there are some advanced search capabilities in bing, they are not nearly as easy to use as googles advanced search. This is a usseful feature in google, especially for students trying to define seaches when doing research for school. So in order for bing to get used more it is essential that a sophisticated advanced search feature be implemented in a easily accessible and prominent way.

540 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tyler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Creme Brulee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a "difficult balance." Just add a *link* to "Advanced Search." People who want that can use it; nobody has to use it if they don't want. So it would *not* confuse novice searchers.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I REALLY REALLY need search from image file and also ESPECIALLY filtering on image size. Because its takes extremely long to find a good image, and it takes a factor 1000 (literally) when you cant sort on the minimal image size needed.

I would like, but its not near as neccesary, to search for videos the same way. f.e. filter on resolution, audio quality and video length and stuff like that.. I would use that over youtube's..

• Creme Brulee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Offer two ways to get Advanced Search: (1) a small one-line link near the search bar; (2) Let "Settings" allow people to make it their default search view/method. Crucial to this would be a link or text explanation of advanced search parameters (unless fill-in fields accomplish the same thing). Lastly, I would not want a default advanced search screen to spoil the wonderful daily Bing.com photos. So, maybe a small link to "Advanced Search" would be best.

• Matthew Bonanno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed option for me as a college student when I am doing research. I rather use Bing than Google to do my research.
        Using quotes to search for a specific phrase or using the words "OR NOT AND" can really help me use Bing in a much better way.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bring advanced search! They will not confuse anybody who dont want to use them

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea, no difficult balance here... Just enable it, add to it and own it. Only chance for Bing to take off. Attract the power users...

• NITS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sadly the UK Bing is missing many of the US Bing features/services, including simplest features that Google offers globally, main feature which is still time to time taking us in our company back to Google is the missing Search Tools as we need to be able to filter and order results based on date.

• BrissieBri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't really understand the comment "There’s a difficult balance ..." there is a 'Settings' option in Bing, why not give an option there as to whether Advanced Search is displayed or not? You already have 'Narrow by Language' (which I never use, as I can only speak English!) & 'Narrow by Region'. These should all be set as default in Settings. Living in Australia & having to manually go to 'Narrow by Region' EVERY time you want to make sure you only get Australia data is a pain. For example, got excited about Surface 3 being $400 only to find that was US$ & it was A$700 is a big issue. Surely you can find a way to let users enable this kind of default/advanced search options.

• CatFoodScience commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The file syntax for advanced searches is always difficult to remember and find. If an advanced search form was created, it would also be nice to display the search syntax. Exchange Tracking Logs for 2010 has a GUI form and displays the powershell commandlet, something like this would be nice!

• David Cramer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, Advanced search should allow for "Rights" filtering such as Commons, restricted...etc

Ideas: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base