What are your ideas to improve Bing?

Enable Filtering of Search Results by Custom Date Ranges

Enable filtering of search results by 'Custom Date' ranges.

For example, if you just search "Malaysia Airlines incident" it will bring up lots of search results, mainly to do with the missing airplane. However you may be wanting to search for a specific incident around 2001. Therefore with a custom date search you could search for "Malaysia Airlines incident" between 1/1/2001 and 31/12/2001. Or for an even broader range possibly "Malaysia Airlines incident" before 1/3/2014 for example.

2,252 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TIM shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

94 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great, I use this a lot :) Can you change the "Custom" range to be 1 year and not 1 week. As 1 week is already in the drop down option.

• Lv3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funny, we still don't have that feature in the U.S version...

• Dr Tone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not really complete until it's also available on the mobile site. Please un-lock this Idea as it's clearly not complete.

• kraythe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that you can't search by date range is the ONLY thing keeping me using Google for searching on my iPhone.

• David Lee Conley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doing a search for things like "c# custom events" used to break the search with custom dates, but this seems to be fixed now.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is still not available in Australia. Why someone at Microsoft thought it was a good idea to make this feature exclusive only to the US is mind boggling, but the fact that 5 months later it is still not available is just an absolute joke.

• Bill James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I received an email from uservoice telling me that its complete. It is not complete in Australia. All we can see is a date dropdown menu and the old day, week, month options.

• Alec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, thanks for the response. I am based in the Asia Pac region so would be interested in likely timeframe for deployment there. Also perhaps you might want to consider adding a few more default ranges to make it a better user eperience.

Currently the default date ranges are limited to
        past 24hrs
        past week
        past month.
        It would be really helpful if you added past year (a usual search for general information) and past hour (for breaking information such as news etc).

I suspect this set of default ranges will cover most of users needs. Do you perform analysis of typical date ranges used currently?

Users typically shy away from using custom values as it is not as quick as predefined ranges and the value of your great efforts may be minimised.

• Cynthia Wilsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is working just fine as far as I see. Are you looking for it in the correct place? Right next to the # of results it reads any time in a small box. Click on the down arrow and you can limit the search in time. But first, you need to follow the instructions on finding it.

Completed? Rolling out to global markets? That was April! This is August, and nothing yet... Jeez, what's wrong with you people? Get it working! It's been working for everyone else for half a decade!

• Trent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They only added it to news/video results :(. I tried looking everywhere to get it for web results as well but couldn't find anything to toggle it on/off. I don't get why they don't allow web results to be filtered.

For example: searching for this list results from 2011-2013 among the first few results. This doesn't help since bing has changed since then.

I can not find the date range anywhere. Google search has always let users select the dates that are relevant to them. Tried to use Bing for a while. I will try again when Bing gets the date search finished.

• SALIMMDY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for all .BECAUSE I ADDING AND ALL MY DADA TO THIS ACCOUNT OF MANY TIMES TO TRYING .BUT OTHERS PEOPLES INADDED AND USE MY DATA.PLEASE HELP ME TO ADDING USE ALL MY DATA USE FOR ONLY MY ACCOUNT.THSNKS ALOT.

• Boogle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

??? had it for a while... Now neither the custom range or default ranges appear. Guess it is back to Google again.

When will it be available on other countries? I am specially interested in ES market. Filtering by date seems to be a very basic option when searching news...

Thanks.

• Kuby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! finally. thanks a lot guys.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Ideas: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base