What are your ideas to improve Bing?

search using an image

I'd like to submit an image & have bing search based on selected image in that object. If I take an image of a car, search for that car. If I take a picture of a prepared meal, show me a search result related to that meal. Etc.

2,462 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Roman David DeSilva shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminBing Listens Team (Feedback Channel, Bing) responded  · 

Hey everyone,

Happy New Year! We wanted to give you an update on all the work we’ve been doing to improve the experience of searching using an image.

Search using an image
    Whether you’re on your laptop or your phone you can always search using an image.

On your laptop we allow you to search for images that are similar to the one you provide – either by pasting in an image URL or by uploading one from your computer. Just go to Bing Images on your computer (bing.com/images) and click the “Image Match” icon to the right of the search box and either paste in the URL of an image or choose to upload.

On your phone it’s just as easy. Just go to Bing Images (bing.com/images) and tap the camera icon to the right of the search box. You can snap a picture (or use one from your camera roll) to search for similar images.

Searching only a portion of an image
    We mentioned several months back that the Bing app (iOS and Android) allows you to search all or part of an image on your phone. We’ve now brought this feature to Bing on your mobile phone even if you don’t have the app.

1. Go to Bing Images on your phone (bing.com/images) and type in your search term (eg. “outfit ideas”).
    2. Tap on one of the image thumbnails to go to the detailed view
    3. Tap on the “visual search” icon just below the image (hint: you may need to scroll down a bit)
    4. Now you can resize/adjust the crop box to focus on the object you want to search with (eg. The purse in the image), just like with the Bing app!

Improved relevance
    We work hard at giving you the most relevant search results. It isn’t a great experience if your image search of a yellow dress returns images of yellow flowers and yellow cars. We’ve improved our relevance significantly and you’ll see this shine when searching fashion and celebrity images. Over time our relevance will improve with machine learning and additional data which translates into the best experience for our users.

Hi everyone,

Also another update to this item is that we recently launched Ask Cortana for images in Microsoft Edge with the latest windows build that released a couple weeks ago- now you can search by image in Edge very easily by right clicking and selecting ‘ask Cortana’. Give it a try!

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to give you an update on the idea that was submitted. We will continue to investigate the scenario of “search by image” for images uploaded by users. We have made some progress in searching for images on the web, using an image as the query.
    As part of our new image search release, we have developed a new Chrome extension that makes it easy for you to use Bing Image Match. Please download the extension from here – http://aka.ms/l1oiqs – and let us know your feedback!
    You can read more about the newly released Bing Image Search here: http://aka.ms/Dxsy1d and try it out yourself.
    Use it and tell us what else you would like to see for the “search by image” request, as well as other image search capabilities.

Hey everyone,

We’ve released our latest Bing App into the Apple App Store with a cool new feature, Visual Search. You can download the Bing app from here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bing-fast-beautiful-mobile/id345323231?mt=8

This feature allows you to “search in the real world using pictures”. For example, you see a picture of a celebrity with a handbag and want to know where to buy it. Now you can use a picture to search. Use any photo, whether it’s in your camera roll, taken with your camera, or an image found on Bing and you can focus on searching for that exact object in the photo!
    Here’s how to use it (see the attached image, VisualSearch.jpg to follow the Steps 1-4):

1. Press the search icon on the home screen
    2. Press the camera icon on the search screen
    3. Switch to camera option (from barcode). Take a picture of something to search (e.g. Your eye glasses, a can of Pepsi, your pet)
    4. Adjust the crop box to tell the app exactly what object you want to search for and you’ll get other images that are visually similar to that focused search region
    5. You can do this with photos in your camera gallery or any image from Bing’s Image Search

Give it a shot and let us know what you think!

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Arapat Piang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wan in treiying bern you said in my write like in to you
        love my i in to you for love it wish in follow way your in
        true line way i you try in clueding your find loving me....

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to echo the comments here, I bought the 950XL from the Windows store where I was told it would deliver the best Microsoft experience available. But I cannot image search like users of iOS can on the app made by Microsoft.

How is this done equivalently on Windows Mobile? Or do you prefer to make apps for phones that you don't make.

Please provide an update here. I cannot get the edge features that you are talking about working on my phone, I try to search with Cortana and it doesn't seem to take. How do I make it happen?

• Adam Christoffer Duus-Boolsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, available as an extension in Chrome and as an app for iOS, but not for your own friggin' users? And now available through Cortana which is available to... noone around here!?! Words cannot describe how ridiculous this is! Catering to the competition, and giving the bird to your own customers? And now giving the knife an extra twist by letting a select few of your customers in on it; the same few select customers who get preferential treatment EVERY time...!

You're friggin' twisting my arm, trying to FORCE me to jump ship!!! :-(

• cascom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure I understand the process. One photo search would be cool is to find an image on my computer that matches the photo that I receive in email. I submit photos for publication. Often I get an email requesting an ID or information about the photo. Many times the edition has not included the meta data and I have to search through 15 years of photos looking for the requested image.

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I have an issue when looking for an image on Bing.

I have two example in attached file. One is from Bing and another one from Google which show more size and image.

Could be nice to fixe that.

• Valon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search for images or similar images by taking pictures with your phone, or a similar idea as the google translate feature by using your camera to scan text. I feel like Bing would be able to do it better.

• K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is an image match but it was so much better a couple years ago

• mtlive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use Image Match in Bing image search. (beside the search bar)
        Just remember to change your region to US to be able to see it.

• Vương Lương commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well actually Microsoft Bing already has this, it's called ''Bing ImageMatch'' only it's really hard to find as Microsoft Bing doesn't promote this feature, I personally only came here to suggest making this feature more accessible.

Ideas: Images

Feedback and Knowledge Base