Thank you for your feedback about Bing. To improve how your ideas are shared and discussed, we've created the Bing Insider site. As a result, the Bing Listens portal will be shuttered soon. We look forward to getting more of your feedback at bing.com/insider. Thanks!

What are your ideas to improve Bing?

Keep the old birds eye view

Keep the old birds eye view so you can see the old view of a location so you can see what used to be there.

51 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Angelo Jared de Villa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS THE ONLY REASON WHY M.S. BOUGHT BING. TO BLOCK THE BIRDS EYE-VIEW. THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE ALOT OF PLACES SEEN FROM THE AVOBE SPECIALLY THE WATER FEATURES AND THINGS UNDER IT.

• Gandalf The White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason I used Bing Maps was SOLELY for birdeye view.
        Now that it has been removed for our entire borough - county including the second largest city in Alaska there is no longer any reason to ever us Bing maps again. In the past I had frequently referred many people to Bing maps and sung it's praises. From the thread here it is clear that MS doesn't care about what the public ACUALLY wants only in what they THINK the public wants. They're making the same mistake as google maps which ASSUMED everyone wants the stupid blocky 3D maps when it is completely useless to the average consumer.
        You lost a faithful supporter with this myopic move and I will tell everyone to abandon the sinking ship.

• MrCookiezz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the old Bird's Eye. It may have been outdated but it was still very useful. One of the reasons why a lot of people used Bing Maps was because of Birds Eye. Now I have to use the 3D view of Google Maps which isn't as reliable. Please at least have a place where you can still use the old Bird's Eye because the new one sucks and the coverage is just terrible. I'm really disappointed with this new update and I won't be using Bing Maps as often.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, awash in cash, is just cheaping out for a few TB of storage space. Sad.

• josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You must bring bird's-eye back, literally the only good thing about Bing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No Bird's Eye works in UK. You've therefore killed the only competitive advantage vs Google Maps, so sadly back to Google I go ...

Maybe that "EU coverage is more than it was before", but in my experience this is not true. Italy is much less covered, at least out of the cities.
        Old birds eye was fantastic, now Bing maps has lost a precious feature.

Please reinstate your old Birds Eye view maps. Even if it is a separate link. It was so great when doing house / real estate search and views.

I at least was able to view my old addresses, now I can't see anything. Its great if you live in large towns but useless for anyone else. I don't suppose us country bumpkins matter in the scheme of things. thanks a lot microsoft.

• Ranko Pudar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update schedule for the new birds eye view images in certain areas, namely in Central Europe (non-EU)? I am using the BEV for my PhD work (sampling of building types) and without the 3D view its impossible to deduct the type of the buildings. The old imagery is certainly better than no imagery at all.

• Douglas Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MSFT should've negotiated the license for the imagery, if that's really the issue and not the storage space. The image store just lost MSFT as a client... no doubt they would renegotiate to have their client back., right? Now they're getting no licensing from MSFT... anything is better than $0.00

This is BS. MSFT is just too slowly rolling in the new imagery... they screwed up. They should have just replaced panels as they became available and dated them for full disclosure. Would have been easier and ****** less people off.

Does anyone know who has these images available?

• George Thurston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that MS should immediately bring back the old "Bird'sEye" maps as an option: indeed, the only need for Bing was its novel Bird's Eye View, and old views are better than none. In fact, if the date is provided, they become a valuable historical resource as to changes over time! this should be viewed as an opportunity for MS to be ahead of Google in this regard!

• Ian Slater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If space is the problem, just scrap the new Birds Eye view. It's completely useless as you can't zoom back enough to get the general view of the topography that was available before. The new one must take up vast amounts of memory judging by the time the huge images take to complete.

• rbrundritt - MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Storage costs are minimal, its the licensing costs that are extremely high. Note, Birdseye is still in Bing Maps. Coverage in the USA is current lower than before, but growing and has higher resolution imagery. EU coverage is more than it was before.

• Jason Chenard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

rbrundritt - MSFT commented: "Unfortunately the cost of keeping the old imagery online is way too expensive to do this. Birdseye in general is not heavily used, the old imagery would be used even less. The cost vs the gain of having this doesn't work out."

----

Are you serious? The cost of storing the data is the reason for removing this invaluable tool? Amazon lets every Prime user store an infinite number of photos. Youtube allows users to upload however many ****** videos of pretty much nothing they want and keep them forever. Pinterest... Facebook,..

Are you *seriously* saying that Bing removed a fantastic feature which was up and running, and which provided an amazing feature unlike anything that any of their competitors offered, because... --- I'm having trouble even typing this in --- because Microsoft couldn't afford the disk space?

Can you come up with some other reason? Lightning struck the server? Your puppy ate the power cord? North Korea threatened you? Anything? Lack of storage space doesn't pass the straight face test.

Better yet: PLEASE PUT THE SERVICE BACK UP!!!??? PLEASE!!!

• rbrundritt - MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately the cost of keeping the old imagery online is way too expensive to do this. Birdseye in general is not heavily used, the old imagery would be used even less. The cost vs the gain of having this doesn't work out.

Ideas: Maps

Feedback and Knowledge Base