What are your ideas to improve Bing?

Keep the old birds eye view

Keep the old birds eye view so you can see the old view of a location so you can see what used to be there.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ranko Pudar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update schedule for the new birds eye view images in certain areas, namely in Central Europe (non-EU)? I am using the BEV for my PhD work (sampling of building types) and without the 3D view its impossible to deduct the type of the buildings. The old imagery is certainly better than no imagery at all.

• Douglas Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MSFT should've negotiated the license for the imagery, if that's really the issue and not the storage space. The image store just lost MSFT as a client... no doubt they would renegotiate to have their client back., right? Now they're getting no licensing from MSFT... anything is better than $0.00

This is BS. MSFT is just too slowly rolling in the new imagery... they screwed up. They should have just replaced panels as they became available and dated them for full disclosure. Would have been easier and ****** less people off.

Does anyone know who has these images available?

• George Thurston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that MS should immediately bring back the old "Bird'sEye" maps as an option: indeed, the only need for Bing was its novel Bird's Eye View, and old views are better than none. In fact, if the date is provided, they become a valuable historical resource as to changes over time! this should be viewed as an opportunity for MS to be ahead of Google in this regard!

• Ian Slater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If space is the problem, just scrap the new Birds Eye view. It's completely useless as you can't zoom back enough to get the general view of the topography that was available before. The new one must take up vast amounts of memory judging by the time the huge images take to complete.

• rbrundritt - MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Storage costs are minimal, its the licensing costs that are extremely high. Note, Birdseye is still in Bing Maps. Coverage in the USA is current lower than before, but growing and has higher resolution imagery. EU coverage is more than it was before.

• Jason Chenard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

rbrundritt - MSFT commented: "Unfortunately the cost of keeping the old imagery online is way too expensive to do this. Birdseye in general is not heavily used, the old imagery would be used even less. The cost vs the gain of having this doesn't work out."

----

Are you serious? The cost of storing the data is the reason for removing this invaluable tool? Amazon lets every Prime user store an infinite number of photos. Youtube allows users to upload however many ****** videos of pretty much nothing they want and keep them forever. Pinterest... Facebook,..

Are you *seriously* saying that Bing removed a fantastic feature which was up and running, and which provided an amazing feature unlike anything that any of their competitors offered, because... --- I'm having trouble even typing this in --- because Microsoft couldn't afford the disk space?

Can you come up with some other reason? Lightning struck the server? Your puppy ate the power cord? North Korea threatened you? Anything? Lack of storage space doesn't pass the straight face test.

Better yet: PLEASE PUT THE SERVICE BACK UP!!!??? PLEASE!!!

• rbrundritt - MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately the cost of keeping the old imagery online is way too expensive to do this. Birdseye in general is not heavily used, the old imagery would be used even less. The cost vs the gain of having this doesn't work out.

Ideas: Maps

Feedback and Knowledge Base