Ideas

Share your feature suggestions with the people that build Bing

What are your ideas to improve Bing?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow users to filter out certain categories of news stories from homepage carousel

Allow users to remove certain categories from the trending news stories at the bottom of the homepage (e.g. remove celebrity/entertainment stories, or sports stories)

199 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      16 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the idea and the great comments. There has been a great amount of support from users to enable this, and the great news is that we are in the process of figuring out the best way to allow users to filter their news stories. Please stay tuned and keep checking back as we are striving each day to make your Homepage experience more personalized. Thanks again and please continue giving other great ideas to make Bing a great product.

• 187 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        28 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the idea and the great comments. Although we do not have plans to enable users to add news feeds into the Bing.com homepage, we are continuously working to make the news content more personalized to you based on your specific preferences. We are also looking into giving users the ability to filter their news content as a potential future feature. In the meantime, you can feel free to sign-up for Bing Interests (www.bing.com/profile/interests) which will allow you to follow specific news/sports teams/stocks that you like, which will have designated tiles on the homepage that update frequently. Thanks again and please continue giving other great ideas to make Bing a great product

• Your news is too left leaning.

I read various sources, and Bing simply takes a side.

82 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          42 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a fairly tough challenge as everybody has different judgement on political tendency. While we guarantee that our algorithm has no preference on either end of political spectrum, we are also making a special design to provide opinions from both sides on a particular topic or news story. We will also build the personalization feature to use your press preference in your Live profile to return you the news articles, which can help in this scenario too.

• Ability to filter out Huffington Post spam on Bing News feed

Seems like half the news stories on Bing News are Huffington Post political editorials. They always dominate the top story section, with editorial articles. Please give us the ability to filter out "news" domains that are abusive and do not report actual news.

24 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            We've read your feedback  ·  8 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • 23 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make It Easier To Submit Website For Bing News Inclusion

I was actually invited by Bing to submit my news site to be indexed in their News section. After sending over the information, I was told to e-mail if I hadn't heard anything in 30 days. It's been 3 months now, and I'm very confused as to this process.

With Google News, it's pretty simple and explanatory, but with Bing News, it's nearly impossible to find out how you would submit and what the requirement are. If it hadn't been for a Bing News person to e-mail me about being included, I wouldn't have known that they even did that.

22 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                9 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the news site suggestion. We’ve launched Bing News PubHub (https://pubhub.bing.com/), a portal that enables more publishers to submit their news websites and expand their reach to millions of users through desktop, Cortana, Outlook, and the Bing Search app. Publishers must follow the Bing Webmaster Guidelines (https://www.bing.com/webmaster/help/webmaster-guidelines-30fba23a) and verify ownership through Bing Webmaster Tools (http://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmaster/). We’d love to hear your feedback as we keep improving. Thanks!

• My chosen interests are not being shown in the carousel.

On the bing.com homepage, the news carousel at the bottom of the homepage does not show news or updates on several of my chosen interests. It is my understanding that that is exactly what it is supposed to do, to show the interests I have chosen.

When you go to settings area > Interests you add and remove the categories you want from the default categories. You can also add your own topics of interest. The thing is though that most of those categories never appear in the carousel on the homepage and I wish they would.

Another issue with…

19 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Mark

Just a quick follow-up on the email we sent recently. We checked with the team, and wanted to let you know we are working on updates to add more clarity and control to the personalization options, including for Sports.

Stayed tuned, and do come back to this site with other ideas you might have :-)

Thanks

• Local News too confining, allow me to set radius from zip code, or county

I use Bing all the time to keep up with the news, but the local news is severely lacking. I want to keep up with news in nearby zip codes too, so it would be great if I could choose which nearby counties I would like to see news from, or better yet how far from my zip I want local news to come from (i.e. 15, 25, 50 miles, etc)

16 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    4 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello, thanks for the idea. Today the technology is available at city level.  We are investigating new forms of fine tuning range of locations and will let you know when we have an update. Keep your feedback coming, use it to improve Bing!

• Allow filtering of news sources

Too often, the news articles that come up are from disreputable sites whose only concern is to generate clicks with misleading or inflammatory titles. Please allow us to remove news sources completely from our results. This would greatly improve the quality of the results. This could also help those that only want to read news from a specific viewpoint (although I disagree with that kind of thing)

13 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      We've read your feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • please discontinue the liberal ***** on all news articles appearing at the bottom of Bing. if you can't be objective, follow Google.

it is not a good business model if you want to make market share from google to obviously be biased in your news coverage. 80-90% of the time there is obviously a bias. If I wanted news with a *****, I would go to a news website known to a particular perspective. Be down the middle of just stop. if you don't stop, I will quit doing all my searches in Bing and go back to Google.

12 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        We've read your feedback  ·  3 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Could the "Popular Now on Bing" news items be more diverse?

Could the "Popular Now on Bing" news items be more diverse? For example, today (November 2, 2015) out of the 27 News Items depicted, 11 are sports related with 7 of those football news items. 41% of news items are sports related. Are the depicted News items based on popularity, i.e., most often searched or is there algorithm(s) at work?

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • 9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Bring back news sources/publishers

About a week ago, I started noticing several news sources removed from Bing Trends. What happened? I enjoyed these sites instead of the day-to-day CNN, NYTimes rift. Will they ever return? I see them on other portals, but prefer to read them here.

9 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              We've read your feedback  ·  3 comments  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Please consider adding a "motorsports" tab to the sports news section

News stories from NASCAR, Indycar, Formula 1, etc. all in one place.

9 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • News Area on Windows Phone in all countries

On my Windows Phone (Lumia 830, denim) I have unlike to Desktop search no news area in search. There is only a news app, which is very slow when searching for different news topics.
                                And starting an app is not as convinient as a direct integration in bing search. I don't know if there are countries with news integrated in bing search, but in the German Windows Phone version there is no news area in bing search.

8 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • 7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • More relevance in news category; less lowbrow entertainment

More relevance in news category. "Trending now" features are always the same people. Obama, I understand, for example, is always relevant, but why does Jennifer Hudson *always* trend when I click Michelle Obama? Why does Justin Bieber appear as trending now in business? Better variety is needed in entertainment, and celebrities showing their butts is not news (I've noticed numerous entertainment headlines like this on bing). A better variety of entertainment and more intellectual entertainment would be appreciated - bing is Microsoft which is Bill Gates after all. Weed out decade old news on health news too; I want up…

7 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Bing News Quiz Content

In today's news quiz, I had 5 of 7 correct, and was told I was having a week like Hillary Clinton. OK, that's fine. But then reading the "why" noted that Bernie Sanders won Indiana, but had no chance of winning the nomination. Really? He also won Missouri, and California is right around the corner. Now I get that Bing predicts winners -- but you guys have been wrong time and again on Bernie.

My idea - don't bash a candidate while the vote is going on for some cheap laughs. It's offensive. And lazy. It would take all of…

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello, thanks for your feedback. You make a fair point. This summary tried to capture the sort of week we imagined Hillary Clinton was having. Yes, she suffered a loss in Indiana, but she still had a sizable lead over Bernie Sanders going into the NY and Pennsylvania primaries. So it was an “OK” week for Clinton—not great, not horrible. It wasn’t intended as a prediction against your candidate, who has run an impressive campaign.

• Spam Site on Bing News: Linkedin.com/pulse (please remove)

Hello,

Bing News is picking up content from LinkedIn.com/pulse and that content is all spam from India and Bangladesh.

http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=site%3alinkedin.com&qft=sortbydate%3d%221%22&form=YFNR

My recommendation is that any URL starting linked.com/pulse be removed from Bing News as it offers no news and is unfiltered, unedited and unmoderated spam.

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          We've read your feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  News  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add stock information to business news

Bing should add stocks to the section for business news. Along with business news, the section could have the major stock market indexes on the section's homepage with the option to search for any other stocks. Bing should take a cue from the designers of MSN Money, who blended business news very well with information about stocks.

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Stephen,

Just wanted to let you know that our Bing team that handles the News section said that they plan to include Stock Charts on our news vertical search / browse experience to enrich news event with more angles.
                                            Will keep you updated on the progress. Please do continue to provide other ideas you might have.
                                            Thanks so much.

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base