Ideas

Share your feature suggestions with the people that build Bing

What are your ideas to improve Bing?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Night Mode for search results

A lot of people are now using computers and tablets in low light conditions. Night mode extensions are getting some attention among users where the White background and black text converts the opposite so that at night in dark locations people get less eye strain. Adding this accessibility option on your search results will be a welcoming option for advanced users and will also make them pay attention to Bing more.

143 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make the images in the Bing homepage be the background of the search results page instead of a white background

This idea would make Bing a lot more aesthetically pleasing than Google and would make Bing unique. The only issue would be that the colors of the images on the homepage may blend with the text so it would be best to slightly fade the images so that users can properly read the text in the search results.

134 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        5 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Bob

Very interesting idea.
        Just wanted to let you know that we have shared this idea with the team. As you noted in your idea, there may be an issue with readability of the search results, so we will need to evaluate the feasibility of this idea before proceeding further. We will keep you updated, so please do come back and check the status, as well as submit other ideas.

• Option to mark specific search result(s) as most relevant to searched terms to improve algorithms

Many times, my searches are not well interpreted. Maybe a way to provide feedback on results that Microsoft can use to improve Bing's search algorithms? E.g. make a button for the user to tag a specific result or two as directly relevant to the search terms. Maybe this information could be helpful in improving search algorithms.

Ex. I searched for, "switch from word to pages." What I'm looking for are tips on switching from MS Word to Pages. The entire first page of results is about changing the order of pages in a word document.

Ex. my search history will…

113 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          7 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add a "One year" option to the search results filter

Currently, search results can be filtered for "All", "Past 24 hours", "Past week", and "Past month". There really needs to be an option for the "Past year".

83 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We are considering adding “One year” to the search results filter for Web search. In the meantime, please use Custom Date Range as a workaround. Thanks and do keep sending us your ideas!

• Keep search bar on top when scrolling through search results

This would increase productivity since after scrolling through result and not finding the desired page one would like to change the search query and for that one needs to scroll all the way back up. Why not keep the search bar up, glued to the address bar, in a minuscule way...

Ex: see picture attached; I would like to change the search query "atnt" to "myatnt", and not to have to scroll up.

71 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Change web search results page interface

I think that the web results page can look better. Maybe a consistent banner across the top of the page would be a good idea, which is still visible whilst scrolling (as is already in Bing Images)

61 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Stop giving page rank to mugshot extortion websites.

Bing would do well to stop giving page rank to extortion websites. They are run primarily by less-than-reputable people or companies who are taking advantage of others. Google stopped giving page rank to such sites a couple of years ago and I think it's time Bing.com stepped up. Laws have been enacted in seven states but people in the other 43 states remain vulnerable.

Some of the worst offenders with the highest Bing.com results appear to be:

bustedmugshots.com
                *.arrests.org
                pdxmugshots.com

Here are some articles on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/business/mugged-by-a-mug-shot-online.html?_r=0

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/16/technology/mug-shot-websites/

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/10/mug_shot_websites_the_best_way_to_stop_them_is_to_turn_to_credit_card_companies.html

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2014/aug/12/jails-stop-posting-mug-shots-end-extortion-profiteering-websites/

60 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow Users To SAVE Search Results

When people search something on Google or Bing, They might want to come back to it later, but they forgot what it was! Now if Bing can just integrate a tab on the top called "Save" it would help. Users just have to sign into Bing and when they search, there might be a star or an exclamation point next to each search results, Then they can save the link and go back to it later

35 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Bing needs a new font change for search results

The fact i use google after just having searched thru bing is because im used to google font search results. Bing needs to change its font so its more readible or not so sharp edged . google also displays more links per page. Change the font bing and. People will definitely be using it more. The bing hopemage with amazing wallpapers look great but as soon as the search results pop out the whole thing looks unpleasant.

31 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      6 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone

Thanks for sharing this feedback, which we have passed on to the relevant Bing teams. That being said, it doesn’t appear that many other users also feel this is an issue with readability, given the low vote count for suggestion.
                      Please do continue to share other ideas that you might have as we investigate this further.

Thanks

• Include Search Results From Social media

It would be nice if Bing could do something like google, when you search a hashtag like #DemsInPhilly Or #DemiLovato. Bing already does part of that but only displays 2 results from Twitter. if they could expand it and get results from Instagram, Google +, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and more, that would be great! And also don't just show little resulsts from social media, I think that SOCIAL MEDIA is a way to get the LATEST OR NEWEST news or sports infor or more! Not all search engines have the latest news stories or infor until 2 days later. So…

29 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to this great suggestion! At present, there are different efforts from feature teams working on social media, with diverse answers and UX. Now we are making plan to build Social vertical in Bing.com (parallel with image, video, news), integrating all existing works on social, facilitating user search preference in social segment. Please expect this new vertical come out and offer further suggestion!

• True verbatim search

There should be a very easy way to search for EXACTLY the words and/or phrases typed. This should be persistent -- an option that a logged in user can set permanently, so we don't have to constantly type double quotes with plus signs to get a relevant result. Bing's algorithms for locating relevant results simply yield tons of terrible hits, and I have much better luck when Bing doesn't try and guess what I mean, but just does the search I asked for.

22 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          3 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add the endangered status in the summmary pane for search results of animals.

When searching for animals, typically the pane on the right shows a summary of the Wikipedia page. Please add the endangered status of the animal as well.

20 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi A :-)

Will certainly pass this on to our team to determine what it might take to implement this request. Please stay tuned and continue to submit other ideas you might have.
                            Thank you

• app search?

How about Apps category in search results?

I suppose such small change can result in a huge difference considering how much effort you (Microsoft) has been putting in competing with Google etc. in Search and Apps businesses

18 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Remember date options between searches

I love the advanced date range options that were added recently. However Bing should remember those options if you add/change the search terms. Right now it resets to 'Any time' each time you change the search terms. I think it would be better if it kept the filter in place with a clear indication that results are filtered by date and an 'X' option to easily clear them.

15 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                We've read your feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Let people enter in suspicious phone numbers - telemarketers etc

I get phishing phone calls that I believe are scams. Like one I just got tying to get me to call back with and give them my credit card info. I want to take that number and be able to report the number to you and it be added to an easy to understand archive. Then later someone else can come back and search the number and we can start to track which numbers are a scam.

15 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  We've read your feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add Date Range Filtering to iOS and Android and I will stop using Google!

Because I can't use date range filtering on my mobile device in a browser or Bing app, I have no choice but to use Google. I don't want results 10 years old when I search on mobile. In fact it would be better if that date range was sticky as a setting. If I had this on the Bing app for my iOS and the mobile browser I would probably stop using google because I don't like them anyway. I have been trying to switch to Bing but this is a blocker.

12 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    We've read your feedback  ·  2 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Have the browser make a pleasant "bing" sound after every search entered.

I think it would make searching a bit more inviting to have a nice sound to go along with the results.

11 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Parker

That is definitely a unique idea. We’d have to investigate some more to see how most people felt because the sound may get tiring after a while.
                                      . We will keep track of this suggestion, and if it receives more votes, will investigate it further.
                                      Please do continue to come to this site and share other ideas you might have.
                                      Thanks

• Have better suggestions when typing in search box

Have better suggestions when you are using the search engine

11 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • In Bing Settings there is no option to "Use current location"

Rather there is only a "Enter your city and state or postal code. We use your location to show you more relevant search results."

Why not have an automatic location option - that way, no matter where we travel, it should be able to identify where we are and give us relevant results? Seems like a no-brainer, unless I'm missing something?

11 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          We've read your feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • make cortana run on very slow networks

I notice that while i am on the slow network, Cortana feature caught hiccups while I ask something

9 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            We've read your feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  Search Results  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base